Primary Area of Impact: Social Justice, Poverty Alleviation
Geographic Areas Served: Sierra Leone, Uganda, Liberia, Kenya, Mozambique, Myanmar, India, Indonesia
Year Founded: 2011
Grassroots legal advocates have empowered over 40,000 clients and generated 18,000 solutions to justice challenges, including:
- 650+ resolutions to breakdowns in healthcare delivery in Mozambique
- 30 remedies to violations of environmental law in India and Sierra Leone
- the securement of 3,300+ legal identity documents (birth certificates, ID cards, passports) for members of historically excluded communities in Bangladesh and Kenya
- the improvement of land tenure security for 38 communities in Liberia, Uganda, and Mozambique
- 2520 cases affecting over 10,000 farmers and 60,000 acres of land were initiated by grassroots legal advocates in Myanmar, with 56% of cases resolved within one year.
- Over 80 proposals for policy reform made by Namati have been adopted, positively affecting millions of people.
- 2,800+ individuals and 550+ organizations from 150+ countries learn and collaborate via the Global Legal Empowerment Network built by Namati.
- 300+ network members from 63 countries successfully campaigned for justice targets to be included in the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Selected as an Ashoka Fellow, with the Board of Ashoka calling Namati “the best law-for-all program [they’ve] seen.”
- Shortlisted for the 2016 Skoll Award for Social Entrepreneurship
- Recipient of the Humanization Award from the Mozambique Ministry of Health
- Received a rare “A+” rating by DFID