d.light Executive Summary
An executive summary was written by three student fellows of the Lipman Family Prize with faculty oversight as an effort to capture the field experiences of d. light staff and stakeholders to provide a rich narrative of d.light’s work in India.
- d.light has empowered 28,028,044 lives and 7,007,011 school-aged children have been reached with solar lighting.
- d.light has saved its customers $874 million in energy-related expenditures; generated over 8 billion new productive hours for study and work; produced 35 million renewable kilowatt hours, and off-set 2 million tons of CO2 equivalent.
- In India, a study focused on education-related impacts found that 97% of students using d.light S1 lanterns reported increased study time which resulted in a tripling of the percentage of students receiving first and second division scores.
- d.light publicly share its ongoing progress on key metrics via d.light’s Social Impact Dashboard.
- Looking longer-term, d.light Designs is seeking opportunities for third-party research with best-in-class partners in order to measure harder-to-attribute impacts such as increased income through rigorous experimental and quasi-experimental research.